KELLY’S JELLY SWEET & SPICY CHICKEN SALAD
Chicken Salad has always been one of my favorite lunchtime options. Whether it’s served atop a bed of greens, or piled between two hearty slices of bread, I’ll almost always choose Chicken Salad when I see it on a menu.
It’s not just the fact that it’s a tasty high-protein option that I love. I love that no two chicken salads are alike — each family, and each restaurant, puts its own spin on this classic lunchtime entree. My mom’s seemed to be a twist on a Waldorf Salad, with grapes, celery, and walnuts thrown into the mix. Her super secret touch? She’d sprinkle La Choy brand Crunchy Chow Mein noodles on top. So much crunch. So delicious.
So, when I wanted to create a Sweet and Spicy Chicken Salad, using Kelly’s Habanero Jelly, I decided to stick close to my mother’s recipe…with a few changes. It remains simple. It remains crunchy. And, with the addition of the sweet and spice, it’s even more delicious. Please enjoy.
- Two Chicken Breasts (mine come from a Whole Foods Rotisserie Chicken), torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 Cup of Grapes, quartered
- 1 Stalk Finely Diced Celery
- 1/4 Cup Sliced (& Toasted) Almonds
- Salad Greens
- Crunchy Noodle Topper (I grabbed some wonderful noodles by a local brand called Muruku, but La Choy Crunchy Chow Mein work great, too)
- Mayonnaise (to taste — I go light)
- 1-2 Heaping Tablespoons Kelly’s Habanero Pepper Jelly
Add chicken, grapes, celery and almonds into a big bowl. Add the mayo and stir. Some people like a lot of mayo. I prefer just enough to give my chicken salad a very light coat. So, a little more than a tablespoon.
Now, add your Kelly’s Habanero Pepper Jelly. 1-2 Heaping Tablespoons. You’re going to have to taste it to make sure you have just enough sweet and just enough spice.
Once you have the perfect proportions, place your Chicken Salad atop a wonderful bed of lettuce. Sprinkle your crunchy noodles on top. So good. ENJOY!